Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Know What I Want To Do


I feel like I might have things figured out…. Somewhat. Last week I  had a phone interview with a VERY good company. I passed the phone interview with flying colors. They scheduled an in front interview for this past Tuesday. The day before the interview I went into NNU and talked to one of the advisors in the accelerated elementary education program. She had a lot of insightful things to tell me. She wasn’t pushing any particular thing but rather just being a listening ear and offered some words of wisdom and guidance… exactly what I needed at that time. She told me to go to the interview and see what happens. I told her that this company (the interview) would be an amazing place to get into the door if I was going to do business. But if I wasn’t going to do business then I needed to stay at the bank and make it work until I’m done with school. She absolutely agreed. So I went to the interview, I was the top pick of all four candidates. I felt as though I was going to get the job. I could see myself in this big building in downtown Boise. It was a completely different feel from where I’m at now. I saw the cubicles where I would be working and it just seemed like a good place. I had the interview which lasted three hours. I felt okay about the interview but I knew it wasn’t perfect. They asked me about 20 questions that started off “tell me a time when….” It was pretty grueling. I left there feeling okay; I didn’t have this amazing feeling like I wanted to work there. It was a very odd feeling considering this would be an amazing opportunity. It would allow me to make some serious money. But again I wasn’t really excited.  I got the call that night that I didn’t get it. After it settled in a surprising feeling came over me… I didn’t feel disappointed at all. I wasn’t upset but I was just neutral. After talking to Matt about it I finally let myself think about teaching. The more I talked about it the more I liked the idea, the more I wanted it. I told Matt if I did teaching I would never make the big bucks. He just looked at me and said, “Its okay, I will make the big bucks.” This is why I love this guy, he understands me. We talked it over and he said I needed to do what was going to make me happy. The next day I talked to my friend Molly, her husband is doing the same program. I then emailed the advisor and my current advisor. I decided I am switching majors and I’m going to be a teacher.I want to teach either second or third grade. It will be a rewarding job that will make me feel like I am really making a difference. The cons are: I won’t make that much money…. Ever! The pros are: summers off, holiday breaks off, working only 190 days a year, and mainly just enjoying what I do. I already have all these ideas about how “my” class will be. I think of all the fun things I will do, teach, and experience. I am so extremely happy with my decision. It feels right. I think that’s why I wasn’t super excited about the possibility of the new job or super bummed when I didn’t get that job. I finally know what I want to do when I grown up, it only took me ten years!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi my Best Friend!

    I am truly proud of you for deciding on what you want to do career wise. I am proud of the young woman you have turned in to. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were walking thru Albertson's doing our dares. (Daring my sister to ask a stranger for gum lol) And now you are on the right path to being a teacher. You are going to make a wonderful teacher. You have a big heart and you're very nurturing. You have accomplished so much in 27 years and now this. I am so excited for you and I am here for you every step of the way. I Love you to pieces. You didn't lose sight of what you wanted and now you're going for it. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete