Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Marriage stuff

Last night my hubby irritated me and I was mad which doesn’t take much to do with me! But after I just backed off and let myself cool down I was fine and it didn’t bother me so much. When I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep I started to think about that and was proud of myself for coming so far. I used to be the one who would get mad over little things and wanted to argue about it. After arguing for a while I could never really remember what made me so mad in the first place. It made me think about the things I have learned since being with Matt for so long and being married to him. I think the three most important things to a good marriage are communication, respect for each other, and picking your battles.
I would never claim that our marriage is perfect or that I know a lot about being married but I do feel like being with someone for over ten years and married for three of those years qualifies me to talk about this!
Communication was not something we were good at in the beginning because we were both immature and trying to figure things out. I was always honest with Matt and wanted the same back from him. Now I would say we communicate very well and that’s our strongest area of our relationship. I know that when couples stop communication it can lead to issues.
Respecting each other has always been important. I don’t complain about Matt to my friends and never to his family. That will cause issues all around and out of respect for him I do not do this.
Picking your battles is huge. It’s easy to get upset with your partner and want to argue to prove your right but before you know it your two hours into a fight that doesn’t mean anything anymore. I am not saying it’s not okay to argue because I think it’s actually healthy and to disagree and talk it out is normal but starting an argument over everything is not going to make your relationship stronger. I think picking your battles comes with maturity and feeling confident in yourself and your relationship makes it easier to just throw in the towel and let the argument go.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment